B.Sc. Eng. Hons. (Moratuwa), M.Phil. (Moratuwa), Ph.D. (Melbourne), MIEEE
Samiru Gayan received his B.Sc. and M.Phil. degrees in Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering from the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, in 2011 and 2015, respectively. He received his PhD degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Melbourne, Australia in 2021. He is a recipient of the Melbourne Research Scholarship (MRS) in 2017. He is currently a Lecturer (Probationary) in the Department of Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering at the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. His research interests include communications theory, the internet of things and signal processing for wireless communications.
Doctor of Philosophy (University of Melbourne, 2021)
Master of Philosophy (University of Moratuwa, 2015)
Honors Degree of Bachelor of the Science of Engineering (University of Moratuwa, 2011)
- EN2022 – Digital Electronics (co-lecturer) – Undergraduate – 2021
- EN3023 – Electronic Design Realization (module coordinator) – Undergraduate -2021
- EN2053 – Communication Systems and Networks (co-lecturer) – Undergraduate -2021
- EN1802 – Basic Electronics – Undergraduate -2016
- EN2852 – Applied Electronics – Undergraduate -2016
- EN4382 – Wireless and Mobile Communications (co-lecturer) – Undergraduate – 2016
- EN2053 – Communication Systems and Networks (co-lecturer) -Undergraduate -2016
- EN1052 – Introduction to Telecommunication (co-lecturer) – Undergraduate -2016
- EE4262 – Internet of Things – Undergraduate – 2021 – Batch 1 and 2
- ET9013 – Communication Technology – Graduate – 2021
- PST31206 – Optical Fibre and Telecommunication – Undergraduate – 2013, 2014
Tutoring and Demonstrating at the University of Melbourne
- ELEN30009 – Electrical Network Analysis and Design – Undergraduate – 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- ELEN30014 – Analog and Digital Electronics Concepts – Undergraduate – 2021
- ELEN20005 – Foundations of Electrical Networks – Undergraduate – 2020
- ELEN90066 – Embedded System Design – Graduate – 2020
- ELEN90057 – Communication Systems – Graduate – 2020
- Samiru Gayan, Rajitha Senanayake, Hazer Inaltekin, Jamie Evans, “Low-resolution quantization in phase modulated systems: Optimum detectors and error rate analysis”, IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society, 2020
- S. Gayan, R. Senanayake, H. Inaltekin and J. Evans, “Selection Combining for Multi-Antenna Communication with Low-Resolution ADCs,” 2021 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), 2021, pp. 3343-3348.
- S. Gayan, H. Inaltekin, R. Senanayake and J. Evans, “Phase Modulated Communication with Low-Resolution ADCs,” ICC 2019 – 2019 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 2019, pp. 1-7.
- S. Gayan, R. Senanayake and J. Evans, “On the symbol error probability for QPSK with quantized observations,” 2017 27th International Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ITNAC), 2017, pp. 1-6.
Wireless Communications with Low-Resolution Quantization
Wireless communication systems with low-resolution quantization are envisioned to be a major part of future wireless communication networks because of their potential to improve the energy efficiency of the network. This research project aims to conduct a comprehensive study on the performance impact of using low-resolution quantization at the receiver of wireless communication systems compared to traditional high-resolution systems. To that end, we study the optimum detectors and draw fundamental insights on the error probability performance of low-resolution quantization based wireless communication systems in the presence of fading and noise.
Administrative Activities at University of Moratuwa
- Timetable coordinator – Member of timetable committee representing the Department of Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering, 2021
- Mentoring program coordinator – Coordinating the mentoring program of the Department of Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering
- Coordinator – ENTC Alumni Connect
- Semester 4 coordinator – Semester 4 coordinator from batch 19 onward
- Treasurer – Department of Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering Staff Welfare Association, 2021/ 2022
- Pre-academic mentor – Batch 20, 2021